When I first tasted this soup, it wasn't what I expected. I was expecting a brothy, minestrone soup with hearty vegetables and legumes . . . something like my Pasta e Fagioli. What I tasted was surprisingly unique, hearty and confusingly delicious!
WHAT YOU NEED
- navy beans
- coconut oil
- tomato paste
- diced tomatoes
- vegetable broth or water
- dried dill
- honey (or vegan sweetener such as maple syrup)
- apple cider vinegar (or vinegar of choice)
The honey adds an inadmissible sweet flavor that changes the soup entirely. It still resembles my original, hearty vegetable and legume idea, but transcends my idea creating a gourmet, uniquely delicious, soup de jour!
Navy Bean and Tomato Soup
ENTREE or SIDE
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOY FREE, CORN FREE
active time: 20 min.
total time: 45 min.
- 1 cup navy beans
- 1 large leek, cleaned and chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1, 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1, 13.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 Tablespoon dried dill
- 2 Tablespoons honey (or vegan sweetener such as maple syrup)
- 2 cups kale, minced
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar or vinegar of choice
- parsley or fresh herbs
- drizzle olive oil
- fresh ground pepper
- Rinse and clean leek, beans, carrots, and kale.
- Chop or mince garlic, kale, and carrots. *(optional) - measure and place ingredients in separate prep bowls
- Open any other cans such as: tomatoes and tomato paste, *(optional) - place ingredients in separate prep bowls
- Measure oils, spices, etc. and *(optional) place in small separate prep bowls: coconut oil, dill, honey, salt and vinegar
- Heat coconut oil on large pot over medium heat. Add leek, carrots and salt. Cook for about 5-8 min, until moisture from leeks escapes. Add minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth/water and dill. Mix until paste is fully dissolved. Cover pot and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, turn heat to a simmer. Allow veggies to cook for about 15 min, just until soft.
- Add honey, kale, cooked beans and vinegar; mix to incorporate. Cook 3-4 minutes until kale is wilted.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or fresh herbs, fresh ground pepper, and drizzle of olive oil.