If you liked my Pineapple Macadamia Bread recipe then you will love this unique Ukrainian Easter Bread Recipe.
- 3 packages dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 7 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup evaporated milk (or cream or milk)
- Zest of one orange, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 to 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in lukewarm water. Set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks and the whole eggs together until thick and lemony.
- Gradually add the sugar and continue beating until well blended.
- Stir in the milk, yeast mixture, grated orange zest, and salt. Gradually add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead in bowl until smooth, then knead in the cooled, melted butter.
- When the butter is worked in, knead in the raisins, and continue kneading until dough no longer sticks to hands.
- Place in a buttered bowl, turning once, and cover with a towel. Let rise until doubled.
- Punch down and let it rise again. Divide dough into three portions and shape into balls.
- Heavily grease three 2-pound coffee cans fill each 1/3 full with balls of dough.
- I like to use greased parchment paper on the bottom of cans. Babka will come out easier.
- Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes REDUCE heat to 300 degrees F and bake for another 35 to 45 minutes.
- The bread may be covered with aluminum foil if it begins to brown too quickly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes before removing from tins.
- A powdered sugar icing tastes terrific on this Babka.
To Decorate Babka:
- Mix together 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice and enough warm water to give a spreading consistency.
- Spread this icing over the top of babka and sprinkle with bakers’ confetti.
- The following is the traditional old country glaze for babka.
- 1 cup granulated sugar 1/2 cup water 1 teaspoon honey or few drops of lemon juice Cook the sugar, water, and honey or lemon juice together until the syrup forms a soft ball when a little of it is dropped into cold water.
- Remove the syrup from the range.
- Stir in one direction until it turns white.
- Some flavoring may be added if desired.
- Spread the glaze over the top of babka and sprinkle with bakers’ confetti.