A food tour involves showing visitors around your city or neighborhood and introducing them to the best restaurants.
Starting a food tour can generate extra profit for your tour or activity company, which is one of the main reasons to do it.
The cost of food tours typically ranges from $30 to $100 depending on the tour length and additional amenities.
Find Your niche
Starting a business requires you to identify your niche as the first step.
Choosing a niche that meets your audience’s needs means understanding what they want and why they want it.
Understanding your business needs is also important. Find out which markets are oversaturated and which have the potential for growth in the food tour industry.
You can pick a niche that best suits your audience’s needs and your business’ needs.
Niche examples of food tours:
- Food that is gourmet
- Markets for farmers
- Food that is vegetarian/vegan
- Food from a certain country (for example, french, Thai, etc).
- Trucks that sell food
- Shops that sell pastry
- Dishes for dessert
Make a Plan
Your food tour business will benefit from having a business plan.
The food tour business plan should address the following questions:
- Is my business fulfilling a need?
- My food tour business differs from others in what ways?
- Is there anyone I should involve in my food tour business?
- Food tourism: what is its market size?
- Whom do I want to reach?
- How will I market my business?
- What is the minimum amount of money I need to get started?
- What is the break-even point for my business?
You can start a food tour company for very little money – all you need is a computer, a website, and a tour guide.
A tour guide may eventually have to be hired, however one person can give tours if the business is small.
Those you hire should be energetic, friendly, well organized, and responsible. For your guide training, you may want to consider using a service like Miami food tours.